Author Topic: Pilot not hitting the powerband help !!!!!  (Read 6707 times)

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
Pilot not hitting the powerband help !!!!!
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
Okay so when I first got my pilot it ran really really good I was impressed then the motor blew at glamis after 2 hrs of riding , i had the engine rebuilt everything was good but it just would not hit the power  band I tried it with airbox lid off and it runs worse , It has no power and it doesn't even take off when you push the gas you have to easing the gas in in order for it to start moving So finally I got tired of these little mom-and-pop shops that can't fix it so I took it straight to the dealer the dealer said it was a jetting problem they changed my 280 jet to a  240 jet and then they said it was good I took it out And now it takes off but I can't hit the last part of the power band it only goes about 40 mph my uncle has another one and his just flies by Mine,  what can it be They also replaced the needle and mine has a aftermarket carburetor not sure the size where can i look to find out what size it is , The dealer also said that this was the best it was going to run do to the  aftermarket carb which I don't believe them because when I got it it was running just like my uncles will post pictures soon

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Pilot not hitting the powerband help !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Based on your number, you have a Mikuni carb. If you had a Keihin, I could help with jet sizes, but not with a Mikuni. If your uncle has a Mikuni on his, maybe you can reference from there.

You need to figure out how to jet yourself though. It needs to be done where you can open it up, not in the dealer parking lot. There are lots of good articles on it. You could also get an EGT to make it easier.

What seems strange is if it ran good when you got it, then it would seem the jets were good then. That is unless you had an air leak and the previous owner had put big jets in attempting to compensate. Were seals replaced in the rebuild? Was the engine leak tested? Are you running the same oil mixture? What all is different now than when you first got it?

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 02:03:48 PM »
All seals and bearings were changed  piston rings , same oil mixture 36:1 super m two stroke oil ,

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
If you think your problem is jetting, this will help you in getting things dialed in without burning up the engine.

http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Electrical-Gauges/Digitron-Memory-EGT-CHT-Tach

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »
You can just keep jetting down until it runs clean. Then you should jet back up a jet size or two. If you do the jetting work when it's cold, be aware you'll need to rejet when it warms up. Also, if you do the jetting when it's warm, it's possible to damage the engine if you run it in colder weather when the denser air will make your mixture lean. The EGT Livewire posted will make it safer and easier, if you have the money.

If you already know this info, I don't mean to talk down to you, I just want to do sure I mention it all! Be careful that jetting might not be the problem. I've seen a plugged up aftermarket silencer cause a similar problem.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:59:34 PM by odypilots »
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Scrumper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »
FL350clutch, were you ever able to solve this?

I have an FL350 and was fine, until it blew.  Had it reqbuilt and have the same problem.  Runs just fine, but right at the point when the powerband should kick in, it just bogs and won't go any faster.

I rebuilt the stater, replaced the reeds, re-jetted, changed fuel, new controller for the electronics.  Tried everything.

So, I just ordered a new 32mm carb, jets and a new set of reeds.  Hope that fixes it.  I have tried everything else.  I have a huge 2" spark after the stater rebuild, and the gas is good.  SO, I am little stumped.  Will let the team here know what happens after I put the new carb, jets and Boyesen reeds in.

Also, any help would be appreciated if anyone knows what might solve this.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
Try grounding the wires going into the change switch to disable the reverse rev limiter. If the change switch goes bad, the reverse rev limiter can kick in all the time.

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »
Ok what wires would i ground on the fl400 ? Got pics not sure what the limitor looks like ? Or where its located .

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
I'm not sure if the FL400R commonly has the problem. To disable the reverse rev limiter, you disconnect a wire, but do not ground it. I have a picture somewhere. I pull the wire out of one of the connector, fold back and wrap with electrical tape. It is easy to restore after.

shoubadaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:57 PM »
If your running a mikuni carb a 240 is way too small. I bet you are lean bogging on wot. On a 36-39mmpilot mikuni for glamis you should be around a 450 jet. If its a 39mm kehein carb the jet should be around a 185. Do plug chops and read your plugs. This is the best way to check your jetting. An egt is great for monitering your engine temps after your jetting is set. I have seen plenty of engines blow with below temps shown on an egt.

b s

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
Okay so when I first got my pilot it ran really really good I was impressed then the motor blew at glamis after 2 hrs of riding , i had the engine rebuilt everything was good but it just would not hit the power  band I tried it with airbox lid off and it runs worse , It has no power and it doesn't even take off when you push the gas you have to easing the gas in in order for it to start moving So finally I got tired of these little mom-and-pop shops that can't fix it so I took it straight to the dealer the dealer said it was a jetting problem they changed my 280 jet to a  240 jet and then they said it was good I took it out And now it takes off but I can't hit the last part of the power band it only goes about 40 mph my uncle has another one and his just flies by Mine,  what can it be They also replaced the needle and mine has a aftermarket carburetor not sure the size where can i look to find out what size it is , The dealer also said that this was the best it was going to run do to the  aftermarket carb which I don't believe them because when I got it it was running just like my uncles will post pictures soon
did you ever brake the engine in or do any heat cycles ?
or did you just dump gas in it and go???

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »
Update on the pilot problem fixed was the choke that was not sealing all the way down was worn out i clogged the choke with a piece of rubber and bam!!!! Power band kicked in !!!! So i ordered a cable and fixed ...

Know my uncles pilot bogs out it will run great then all of a sudden it just bogs out an turns off then it fires right up and hauls a** for 5-10 min then bogs again we wait 10-30 min then hauls a** when he got it the tank was rusted so we cleaned it and coated it replaced fuel filter and cleaned the carb but still does the same any help ???? Ran good for 2 trips till this started happing then found out the tank was rusted....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:34 AM »
Sounds like clogged vent on gas cap. To test theory: when it dies, remove cap, reinstall, see if runs good right away.

Fl350clutch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »
Ok how do i n clog the cap ?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
Get a can of carb cleaner, empty it out in a bowl, and submerge the cap in it and let it soak....
Hoodlum