Author Topic: Inner CV cup snap ring  (Read 1553 times)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Inner CV cup snap ring
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:03:53 AM »
When I went to the dealer to order the snap ring that retains the inner CV cup in the FL400 transmission, he told me there were 2 different ones. 26 x 1.6 and 26 x 2. The 26 x 2 was sold out, so I ordered the 26 x 1.6 not having the cup with me. Well, I needed the 26 x 2, of course.

So the search for a replacement got under way. None of the local hardware stores had any, so I ended up at Fastenal. Part number 11509171. 28 cents a piece. The 26 x 1.6 rings from Honda were more than $3 a piece. The gap in the ring was smaller than the gap in the 1.6 ring, so I ground the ends down to open it up.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Inner CV cup snap ring
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »
Thats good to know!!!! On the other hand, I have always wondered what that ring was for anyways...I don't thing the race even hits it at full droop....Seems like both ends of the axle would have to be able to plunge before the cv would ever slide out of the cup...
Hoodlum

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »
I've known a couple of guys (Odyknuck and Nutz4sand)who have had a problem with the cup coming out of the trans. Not sure what leads to it.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
Ok.....My bad.....I should have read a bit closer....I was referring to the large ring inside the cup....I can totally understand the purpose of the retainer ring on the cup stem....
Hoodlum

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:35 AM »
Gotcha. The big ring may be there to allow you to pull the cup out of the trans by pulling on the axle, or to keep it from coming apart during assembly. Knowing Honda, they might have done it because they could!