Author Topic: FL350R TOP SPEED  (Read 11900 times)

holanpd

• View Profile
FL350R TOP SPEED
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »
I'VE beed working on my odyssey for some time now trying to get it just right.

i have new tank
new torque spacer
38mm mikuni carb with 50 slow get and 400 main jet
k&n filter kit

I was thinking that the fl350r was pretty fast but i can't seem to get mine over 32 mph. I have read that you disconnect the REV. limitter swithch and ground it to the battery so i went to do that yesterday and i guess the it had alreagy been done bc i couldn't find the change switch. I did find the wire to it tho so i grounded them to the negitive side of the battery. Took it back out and still around 32mph, i checked the plug and im still running rich ..

Does anyone have any ideas ?

thanks

Paul

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FL350R TOP SPEED
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:52:39 AM »
Running rich can keep your rpm's down.......Have you checked the clutches? Make a mark with a sharpie from the center of the clutches to the outside edge and take it for a run....The belt will wear off the mark,and show you how far the belt is running on the clutches...If the belt is worn,or the wrong one,it will not run all the way up on the clutches,and reduce your speed dramatically....The rev limiter mod is for reverse only...Has no effect when going forward.....
Also,I would suggest ditching that k&n filter....They are notorius for letting in dust...Not good....Get you a good oilable foam filter such as a uni.....
Hoodlum

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »
I think i'm going to just replace the belt bc it looks worn out.

How do you replace that belt ?

thanks

Paul

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
Take it off and put it on just like a bicycle chain....Get it started on the clutch and roll it over by hand....

ttyR2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »
Twist it past the mounting bolt for the PTO pulley (front one), then into the PTO pulley groove, then start it on the back driven pulley. If you spin the front pulley with one hand, it has a lot of leverage and will make pulling the belt around the back pulley much easier. I R&R'd a belt in about 5 minutes.

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »
 Should the old belt come off easy ? It wasn't hard at all and I'm hoping the belt was the problem.

ttyR2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:11:40 PM »
Define easy.

Most of the hassle is getting it past the PTO pulley bolt head. Other than that, it's pretty simple.

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 03:00:31 AM »
Easy was a lot of play in the belt, all i did was grab the belt on the bottom side and work it off and around the rear pulley while pulling the odyssey back. I was thinking it would be a little harder then that but i'm hoping that was my problem. May the belt was worn and not allowing me to reach higher speeds. Because 32mph is not going to cut it. What do y'all think ? could there be another problem ? The odyssey runs good and now the trootle is very crisp and the motor screems down the road buy can't get it to go over 32mph..
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:03:37 AM by holanpd »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:25 AM »
The belt on the 350 is notably looser than the pilot...In fact,it actually rubs the rear ujoint under it when the machine idles...Worn belts will cause a loss of speed,but it's hard to say until you try it....What kind of driven clutch do you have? Is it stock or aftermarket? If you don't know,try posting some pics...
Hoodlum

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »
I think its stock but today after work i'll check. How could i tell ? It has a 94c comet clutch on it, was like that when i bought it. I'm replacing the belt bc i don"t know when it was replaced and i almost was able to take the belt off with one hand, it really wasn't hard at all, plus between the teeth the belt was cracking. Is that normal ?

Thanks

Paul

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
The 94c is what I was asking about...Pretty sure the other one is stock....The belt does sound worn out...There are several things that can go wrong with the clutch to cause this speed problem as well...You really need to do the test with the sharpie marker to verify what the belt is doing....
Hoodlum

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »
Can you send me a picture because i'm not sure where to mark it. Where r the clitches located ?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
You make a mark on the face of the clutch where the belt runs....From the center of the clutch to the outside edge....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 06:22:03 AM »
Does the engine sound like it is screaming or bogging when you are going 32?

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »
It sounds like its screaming..  it climbs the rpm range good.