Author Topic: fl350 speed problem  (Read 3473 times)

warford25

• View Profile
fl350 speed problem
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
I rebuilt the top end.  Bored cylinder replaced piston, all the gaskets and then drove it.  It still only goes like 35 at WOT and i think it should have more speed or shift.  It doesnt feel like it is shifting.  Is the problem in my tranny or what I am going crazy!  Please help.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: fl350 speed problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
Quote from: "warford25"
I rebuilt the top end.  Bored cylinder replaced piston, all the gaskets and then drove it.  It still only goes like 35 at WOT and i think it should have more speed or shift.  It doesnt feel like it is shifting.  Is the problem in my tranny or what I am going crazy!  Please help.

I would look at the clutches first.....Take a sharpie pen and make a mark the full width of both the drive and driven clutch faces...Take it on a good hard run and look at the marks on the clutches to see how far out the belt is going on the drive,and how far in it is going on the driven....Is it a stock clutch or aftermarket? It could also be a worn or wrong belt....Is the engine revving like it should or is it bogging?
Hoodlum

warford25

• View Profile
fl350 speed problem
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:16:13 AM »
I don't know about stock clutch or not. I think stock. The motor doesnt bog but should rev faster I think. Being stock I ordered 2 belts from 2 places to make sure they were right. I'll try thy the sharpie thing but how far should it go?  I don't want to pull tranny but when I put it in reverse it makes a grinding noise for a second I know that's worn fork right?  I just want it to drive like it should.

warford25

• View Profile
fl350 speed problem
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:16:36 AM »
I did sharpie test and they are bothe going in and out all the way.  I just know it should be faster. What could be keeping speed down?  I did test up on blockcs by the way not driving.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fl350 speed problem
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 05:01:04 AM »
I don't know about stock clutch or not. I think stock. The motor doesnt bog but should rev faster I think. Being stock I ordered 2 belts from 2 places to make sure they were right. I'll try thy the sharpie thing but how far should it go?  I don't want to pull tranny but when I put it in reverse it makes a grinding noise for a second I know that's worn fork right?  I just want it to drive like it should.

The grinding noise is very common when putting the oddy in gear...They all do it...Turn the idle down as far as it will go and still run....This will help the grinding...
The belt should be running within 1/4" of the outside edge of the driven...
If it is the stock clutch,there are no adjustments,but can be cleaned...Any amount of rust or dirt on moving parts can cause serious performance issues...
Hoodlum

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
fl350 speed problem
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:01:40 AM »
Quote from: "Hoodlum"

The grinding noise is very common when putting the oddy in gear...They all do it...Turn the idle down as far as it will go and still run....This will help the grinding...
The belt should be running within 1/4" of the outside edge of the drive...
If it is the stock clutch,there are no adjustments,but can be cleaned...Any amount of rust or dirt on moving parts can cause serious performance issues...
Hoodlum

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
fl350 speed problem
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
Give it only a little throttle at a time up until it goes it's top speed. Compare that to what it does if you give it full throttle from a dead stop.

If it accelerates better not going full throttle, the issue is related to throttle, possibly jetting. If you can give it full throttle and power drops off when the RPMs hit a certain point, it is RPM related, maybe the reverse rev limiter engaging while going forward.