Author Topic: FL350 no spark to spark plug using electric starter  (Read 2230 times)

bobsmale

• View Profile
FL350 no spark to spark plug using electric starter
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »
FL350 no spark to spark plug using electric starter but when I pull start it, it starts.  Brand new battery today.  Cranking with the starter there is NO spark to the spark plug.  Pulling the pull start I have spark.   Do you think the starter motor is pulling too many amps thus dropping the voltage down.  Or something else... bad ground? Dirty connections?  oil in the starter? I'm at a loss.  Has anyone ever had this problem?  I could sure use some help on this one.

Thanks
Bob S.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FL350 no spark to spark plug using electric starter
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:48:47 AM »
Quote from: "bobsmale"
FL350 no spark to spark plug using electric starter but when I pull start it, it starts.  Brand new battery today.  Cranking with the starter there is NO spark to the spark plug.  Pulling the pull start I have spark.   Do you think the starter motor is pulling too many amps thus dropping the voltage down.  Or something else... bad ground? Dirty connections?  oil in the starter? I'm at a loss.  Has anyone ever had this problem?  I could sure use some help on this one.

Thanks
Bob S.

Either you have oil in your starter,or the brushes are worn badly...Either way,it needs rebuilding...When they get in that shape,they rob enough voltage that the plug doesn't fire...It could possible be a bad connection or ground,but my money would be on the starter itself...
Hoodlum

bobsmale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »
Thanks.
Do you know if the motor has to come out to rebuild the starter or replace it?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
starter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
Quote from: "bobsmale"
Thanks.
Do you know if the motor has to come out to rebuild the starter or replace it?

Can't remember exactly on the 350,but I don't think you do...I believe you have to remove the driven clutch and possibly the battery box...May even be easier removing the carb as well....Maybe some 350ers could chime in on this one....
Hoodlum

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »
Remove carb and clutch.....and fuel tank unless you have tiny hands and can get the bolts on the back side of the pull start cover.

bobsmale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 04:28:33 AM »
Thanks, it was the starter.  Works fine now.  Clutch, carb, and gas tank had to come off.  Rear brake rotor and caliper just had to be loosen up and moved out of the way.