Author Topic: New clutch!  (Read 2480 times)

mattwo

• View Profile
New clutch!
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
I've done many improvements to my Ody. But it's not over yet! The last ?road? test revealed that there's still something really important missing in the setup to get it to ride very well... Just like you know u can do more than 3 miles without stopping... So I've finally unmounted the old Salsbury clutch to find out it's definitively 25 years old... OMG... As I'm low-budget type I can't afford a new Comet 102C clutch.

Here's why I need some real good tech advice: I found a like-new polaris snowmobile clutch looking pretty much like a Comet 102c (i'm not really sure what type it is, think it's a Comet 108 4-pro on a Indy 650, but really not sure!). It fits well on the Ody, except for the wider belt width (+.125... think we can fix this with a shim or something)... So, I just have to found some Comet Cam Arms #209642A and Yellow Spring #203475A (102c calibration for a fl350) to put in the supposed 108!!!!... What you think about my cheap idea? Is it a good, or a bad idea?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New clutch!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »
Quote from: "mattwo"
I've done many improvements to my Ody. But it's not over yet! The last ?road? test revealed that there's still something really important missing in the setup to get it to ride very well... Just like you know u can do more than 3 miles without stopping... So I've finally unmounted the old Salsbury clutch to find out it's definitively 25 years old... OMG... As I'm low-budget type I can't afford a new Comet 102C clutch.

Here's why I need some real good tech advice: I found a like-new polaris snowmobile clutch looking pretty much like a Comet 102c (i'm not really sure what type it is, think it's a Comet 108 4-pro on a Indy 650, but really not sure!). It fits well on the Ody, except for the wider belt width (+.125... think we can fix this with a shim or something)... So, I just have to found some Comet Cam Arms #209642A and Yellow Spring #203475A (102c calibration for a fl350) to put in the supposed 108!!!!... What you think about my cheap idea? Is it a good, or a bad idea?

I say no...The taper is probably different,not to mention the backset...Without correct taper,it will spin on the crank and probably ruin it,and if the backset is not correct, the drive and driven will be out of align and it will shred belts....As for the wider belt,I would think you would have to do something to the driven to accomodate the wider belt,or to the drive to make it accept the stock width...If you put a stock width belt on it, it wouldn't shift out completely, and it would lack top end tremendously...
Hoodlum

mattwo

• View Profile
New clutch!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »
Tx for rur reply Hoodlum! As far as I can tell... ur a good tech ;)

You think the taper of a Fl350 is different from polaris snowmobiles?? To be true, I haven't meseared anything... And that maybe a real big thing... For my defense, i'll put some facts: it's the same measurement for polaris and ski-doo's. So I can tell you that a Powerbloc50 fits well on the crank. And from now, as far as I can see, the backset cause no problem caus' the polaris clutch align pretty well with the driven (the polaris 108 as an offset inside... the Salsbury is flat)... As for the belt width... How come u think it's impossible to get that clutch max open short of .125 ?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New clutch!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:22:09 AM »

You think the taper of a Fl350 is different from polaris snowmobiles?? To be true, I haven't meseared anything... And that maybe a real big thing... For my defense, i'll put some facts: it's the same measurement for polaris and ski-doo's. So I can tell you that a Powerbloc50 fits well on the crank. And from now, as far as I can see, the backset cause no problem caus' the polaris clutch align pretty well with the driven (the polaris 108 as an offset inside... the Salsbury is flat)... As for the belt width... How come u think it's impossible to get that clutch max open short of .125 ?

It's not that the clutch won't close up all the way, it's just that when it does, the narrower belt won't be able to go all the way to the top because the faces are farther apart than a stock clutch, or one made for that width belt,and in turn it won't let the driven shift out as well...
Hoodlum

mattwo

• View Profile
New clutch!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
Quote from: "Hoodlum"

It's not that the clutch won't close up all the way, it's just that when it does, the narrower belt won't be able to go all the way to the top because the faces are farther apart than a stock clutch, or one made for that width belt,and in turn it won't let the driven shift out as well...
Hoodlum

Then a simple way would be to use a larger belt? am I wrong?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
clutch
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »
Quote from: "Hoodlum"

Hoodlum

Then a simple way would be to use a larger belt? am I wrong?

Yea, but then the driven keeps it from shifting out, because it pinches the belt before it gets all the way to the bottom...