Author Topic: reduction chain  (Read 1357 times)

girth first

• View Profile
reduction chain
« on: July 05, 2009, 06:38:57 PM »
alright can anyone tell me the pitch for the chain in a 250 reduction gear. ive tryed 50 and 530 in gold .D.I.D. both exploded and put a hurtn on yet another case, this is getn expensive does anyone have the stock chain for sale for a good price ill need 3. but i cant believe it just snapped on a link that wasnt the master link. any more words of widom would be good. i was told by the harley shop that chain wasn't goin to brake but we proved him wrong again. Also lookin for the large half of the gearbox in good useable shape.

79OdyInColorado

• View Profile
reduction chain
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:32:26 AM »
I run NON-O-Ring 420 chain in mine with 0 issues... im also turning 70+hp with a 440 sled motor and it holds up just fine.... the 520 is to much chain and doesnt sit right... its too wide ant allows the chain to rock side to side. this is most likely why you are trashing chains and cases... the chain is rocking and binding, then POP!

try a cheapie 420 chain. You dont want an o-ringed chain because that actually keeps the lube out and can cause some premature wear issues... if you can afford it, get one WITHOUT a masterlink and have the links pressed at the propper length. Secondly, you can try and find one that is "pre-stretched" and that will help a little bit with the stretching and slop in the gear case.

- Justin
Justin Naekel
Parker, CO

- 1979 Honda FL250 - DG pipe, Otherwise Stock! Soon the have 550 twin motor!

- 1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor - Everything has been tinkered with.

- 2005 Chevy Colorado LS Z71 Ext. Cab. - Too much to list

- 2005 Cag pocket bike - timing, intake, exhaust, NITROUS BABY!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
reduction chain
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »
I've got a complete gearbox. It needs seals, but otherwise It is in decent shape. $75 shipped.