Author Topic: lean or rich  (Read 1678 times)

bmwk1200s

• View Profile
lean or rich
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »
How can I tell if I am running lean or rich from closed throttle to quater throttle?
:roll:  :roll:

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: lean or rich
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:01:19 PM »
Quote from: "bmwk1200s"
How can I tell if I am running lean or rich from closed throttle to quater throttle?

Without doing a plug chop in that range which can be tricky to do,warm it up and let it idle...Blip the throttle and listen to the rpm's...They should drop back to idle fairly quickly...If they don't, and kinda linger for a few seconds,chances are you're lean...The mixture screw usually runs anywhere from 1-11/2 turns out....Since there isn't much running in this area of the throttle,I try to set mine up fairly rich to keep from having a low speed meltdown...I try to make it sputter a little if you are putting around at half throttle....It should also stumble a little when you nail it from idle if it's been sitting and idleing for a minute or so....
Hoodlum

bmwk1200s

• View Profile
lean or rich
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:03:34 AM »
Thanks Hoodlam,in fact it does hesitate when you get on it from idle,I am running a set of v force3 reeds with a spacer and Mikuni carb do these reeds normally make it run leaner or richer from the stock carb and reeds?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
reeds
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »
Thanks Hoodlam,in fact it does hesitate when you get on it from idle,I am running a set of v force3 reeds with a spacer and Mikuni carb do these reeds normally make it run leaner or richer from the stock carb and reeds?

The reeds themselves usually won't make that much of a difference....If you were running border lean with the stock reeds and changed over to v force,they might make a difference in jetting but not much...They will increase flow and cause a lean condition if you add a pipe and intake mod with them....The reeds do increase flow compared to the stockers,but the pipe and intake are usually the restricting factors,and limit the flow....
Is it acting strange causing you to question the jetting? What is the reason you think it could be lean?
Hoodlum

bmwk1200s

• View Profile
lean or rich
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 03:59:27 AM »
I have never owned an Oddy before so I am not sure how quickly they should rev up off idle I have an 03 KTM 300  2 stroke and it revs up real fast, are the Oddies supposed to rev up off idle the same or not I have never heard another one so I am not sure ??

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
oddy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 05:11:15 AM »
I have never owned an Oddy before so I am not sure how quickly they should rev up off idle I have an 03 KTM 300  2 stroke and it revs up real fast, are the Oddies supposed to rev up off idle the same or not I have never heard another one so I am not sure ??

The stroke is longer on the oddy,so it will run less rpm's,and will rev slower as well....
Hoodlum