Author Topic: How to adjust tie rods and turning?  (Read 2234 times)

xycarp

• View Profile
How to adjust tie rods and turning?
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »
I bent a tie rod on my 250. No problem right?... I took it off threw it in a vise and straightened it right out.

The problem is that I can't seem to adjust the steering so it's right. If I toe in the tires slightly like the manual says (by adjusting the tie rods) the turning radius is very wide. If I adjust the tie rods so I can turn sharper the tires actually end up toed out not it.

Ok, so here are my questions:

1) How do I get both slightly toed in front tires and better turning radius?
2) Is there an easy way to make sure the tires are adjusted right? The manual references an alignment tool but I don't have one of those.

Thanks

Xycarp

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
How to adjust tie rods and turning?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:42:25 AM »
On the front end, toe in helps you turn into a corner better, whilst toe out will help the car come out of the corner better.

If you find a setting that you prefer over stock, run it.  Just because it "says so" in the book doesn't mean that there are not better options.  

A change of tires from stock, worn or new, pressure and such will all affect what happens as you drive.

If you don't have any sort of alignment tool, the next best thing is a long straight edge and a tape measure.

Center the steering yoke and then put the straight edge up against the front wheels.  Now measure the distance between the straight edge and the rear wheels or a spot on the frame if the straight edge crashes against the rear wheels.  Do this for each side, just make sure you use the same spot from side to side.  It helps to have an extra set of hands around when doing this.  

Whole idea is to make sure you end up with the same thing from side to side.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'