Author Topic: Need more power  (Read 1169 times)

La. Odyssey

• View Profile
Need more power
« on: January 14, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »
Hello all, Im new to the forum, and just wanted to first say hello and that its nice for me to have found all of you.  Im in Louisiana and most people around here either cant help me with my Ody or dont know where to start but are willing to try.............which ends in a no thanks.  
There arent many Odys or Pilots around here as most are into the whole quad or 4x4 in the swamp thing.  I have all of the above but have more fun in my Ody.
My Ody is all stock and I have a few minor probs that I hope you can help me with.
1. It will take off hard, but top speed is not as high as I have often heard it should be.  I read that some have been clocked in the 70s while mine is only maybe in the 40-50 range.  Half throttle is just as fast as full throttle.  I have been told this is because I need a new driven clutch.  Any ideas?
2. I would like to add more horsepower to it, but I dont know where to start.  I do have the 102C Comet, some Boysen reeds, but thats it so far.  What should I do next.  I have thought about putting in a snomobile engine, but dont really want to do that.
3. My starter is out.  Should I buy a new one or try and have mine rebuilt?
Which would be more reliable?

Any ideas you all might have would be appreciated by a loner down here in the south.  Thanks all
danny_worley@bellsouth.net

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Slow FL350
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 06:15:37 AM »
Stock FL350 should go 55-60. If your driven were not opening up all the way, the engine would be revving really high. If the engine is not revving high, it is not likely the clutch. When was the last top end rebuild? What is the compression?

I always rebuild the stock starters. The price on the aftermarket ones has come down to not much more than a complete rebuild including replacing the commutator. I think they may only be a two brush. No one I asked including those selling them knew for sure so I ordered one to find out for myself. It is on back order with them so it may be a while.

nuke em

• View Profile
Need more power
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:23:30 AM »
The machines that hit near 70MPH are built up and make quite abit of HP over stock machines. I did a long post in the "first fl350" about how to make better power and why. Read that and hopefully it will help some. If you still have questions, post away. Also welcome to the board.

Gary

La. Odyssey

• View Profile
Need more power
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:01:17 PM »
Thanks for the help!!!!!!  Like I said to me down here, you are all priceless.  I dont think it has ever been rebuilt, it still has the stock tires on it from '85.  This thing was in great shape when I bought it from its original owner so its prolly ready for a rebuild.  The rpm's are where they should be...............i think.  It sounds level with the speed, I just thought it was lacking.  I have never riden one that wasnt tuned down (rental track in Florida).  I will go back and read the post you mentioned and see what I can do.  Thanks and I will be back.