Author Topic: 420/350 update  (Read 1197 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
420/350 update
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:49:06 PM »
I did my first, single heat cycle tonight for 10-12 minutes. It sounds sooooo sweet, crispy. I pulled the 40MM Mikuni off and put a 38MM Kiehin Air Striker on, thanks Fed. I am still working a few bugs out of the coolant pump mounting, custom intake/filter pod mount, and a few other things. If things go my way, I should get a few trips around the yard this weekend.

I did a compression test right after, 115-117lbs. Do not freak out, thats fine for 6,000 ft. and I think you are supposed to add around 30 or 40 lbs to compesate for the elevation.  Fed's machine run a LiveWire head and has 105. My other machine runs a Rand head at 135-140(wonder what that is at a lower elevation). Last year when mine sucked sand at LS Oklahoma, it ripped around the yard at 65lbs, but would not idle.

I have heard that you can not weld galvanized sheetmetal, and you know, they were pretty much right. That crap really sucked to weld on today. Stinks, white smoke everywhere. I did not have thr right thinkness flat stock so I need to hit the scrap metal place tomorrow.

I know everyone does there own versions of 2-stroke break in's. I personally like 4-5 10 minute engine runs, idling with a few burps here and there(no rides), make sure it cools down completely in between cycles. Next, baby it until it come up to temp then beat it like a red headed step child! I normally loose 2-5 lbs of compression per full year of riding using this method. I do a compression test pretty regularly too and chart it.

Anyway, here are a few pictures. Nothing is permant yet, just checking out options.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
420/350 update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 07:35:47 AM »
Cool stuff.   Congrats on having it run.  Great feeling when it happens, isn't it.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'