Author Topic: Mapquest to GPS?  (Read 1042 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Mapquest to GPS?
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:55:36 PM »
Is there map direction software on the net similiar to mapquest that you can download to a GPS for driving directions?

Bucked

• View Profile
Mapquest to GPS?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:18:31 PM »
It depends on the GPS. What brand / model do you have? If you don't have a fancy one, you can use simple GPSs like a Garmin eTrex with a laptop PC. The GPS device is set to "receiver" mode and it passes the coordinate data to the PC via a serial interface. Almost all modern software packages like MS Streets and Trips have a navigation mode that allows you to mark your route and the software will do "moving maps" and navigation guidance like the new generation GPSs on the market today.

ludedude

• View Profile
Mapquest to GPS?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:24:19 PM »
I have a Magellan Color.

Been playing with "Map Send Direct Route" I can create a detailed street route on the PC with that...but it goes to waypoints to download to the GPS, and I loose all the steert info (left trun, take ramp, etc).

Not sure if Ted has a laptop  or not..I don't. Just thought it would be nice if Mapquest would conver it's route to waypoints for GPS upload so you can use their maps and directions in conjunction with your GPS.

betel

• View Profile
GPS Navigation
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:06:55 PM »
I have a Magellan Meridian Color.  I think its the same one you have.  I have never tried to create a route on the PC using Direct Route and them download it to the GPS.  I use the GOTO button and enter the address.  The receiver then calculates the route there.  The biggest problem with this receiver is you are limited to 64MB on the SD card  for routing.  Its enough memory to get a couple of states but it would be nice if you could put the whole USA in.  I usually program in the area I'm going to.  Maneuvering around a city is a lot harder than figuring out how to get there.