Author Topic: Interesting FACT  (Read 1604 times)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Interesting FACT
« on: January 29, 2005, 06:48:30 PM »
Seems there has been a rash of honda pilot main bearing failures in the past couple of years. Don't know what it is related to, but here are a few choiced to pick from.

Most of the bearing failures occured in pilots with powerbloc clutches.....clutch problem???

Most were running AmsOil mixed roughly 32:1......oil problem??

All were using stock HONDA bearings.....bearing problem??

At least 5 of the engines were built by one person....builder problem???

I was looking and noticed a few things.

1. the honda part number for the FL400 main bearing is 91033-HE0-005 and lists for $26 on service honda's website. (its really a 6306)

2. the honda part number for the FL 250 crank bearing is 91030-950-003 and lists for $23 on service honda's website. (hey guess what this is a 6306 too!)

3. The same 6306 bearing from boss bearing http://www.bossbearing.com/z.asp?ID=214 is $14.00.

4. The 6306 bearing from ESI is $12.00 http://bearingsdirect.com/cgi-bin/autocart.cgi?CAT=10

These bearings are the SAME, all bear the 6306 bearing part number!!!! Since the HONDA bearings have been having a high failure rate of late, why would anyone keep using a KNOWN faulty part???

This is just an observation. There are different "grades" of bearing available meaning their tolerances are better from one grade to the next, but looks like honda has certainly dropped the ball.

ludedude

• View Profile
Interesting FACT
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:24:34 AM »
clutch problem? You think maybe the clutches are not balanced? Do you know if any of the bottom end failures occurred with stock clutches?

Oil? Wouldn't the failures be showing up in other engines as well then, not just Pilots?

Bearings? Do we know how many hours were on the bottom ends that failed? Roughly all the same? The bottom that I had let go, I used Honda bearings...it had ~60-70 hours on it, the bearings were TOAST...but that was due to the balancer plug coming out, water, grit going in, ruing the seals and then the bearings as well. Up to that it was fine and I would expect it would still be running if not for that mishap. Ted's bottom end just went together, and only lasted a few hours....that has yet to be torn apart...but I suspect there's other troubles than bearing failure there....interesting to see when we tear it apart..

Builder problem? As I stated I don't think mine fall's into this category, it was not bearing failure that caused it. Ted's...we'll have to see. Who else has had bottom ends rebuilt? They have issues too?

I know there's a few bottom ends going to get rebuilt soon: Ted's, Rocketman's and ??'s.....I have another set of Honda bearings for Ted's  What's everyone else using? I'll check, but I'm quite sure ATVR used Honda bearings in the CR500 I had built.

Interesting...and troublesome at the same timee.....

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Interesting FACT
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »
Here is a bearing house with great prices. The bearing honda uses stock is one of the cheapest of the bunch. Does that mean anything???

http://www.awbearings.com/awbearings/directorydb.asp?Brand_Name=all&Part_Number=6306c3&product=B&image1.x=13&image1.y=13