Author Topic: Update on floor tubs  (Read 1762 times)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Update on floor tubs
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:01:07 AM »
Once the production run of the front fenders was done, I was told they could not make the floor tub. I found a local company who was capable of doing deep draw parts. Being in the Detroit area has the advantage of many suppliers to the auto companies. The large part would need a a water cooled cast aluminum and machined mold. I got rough pricing on that, more than all four fender molds combined. I met with a casting company to get a quote. It seemed like no one was getting back with me. I believe the plastic company inquired on the material and was told too high of a required volume. I was not told this directly, but was being strongly encouraged to use a different material, only available in black. After the discussion where I said I needed white, I have not heard back.

We have begun work on building a vacuum forming machine. Making the tubs with being so deep and using the material desired requires a non-standard method of forming. Bringing it in house seems to be the only way to get this done. It will be quite a while though before the tubs will be available though.