Author Topic: 350 cluch enguagement question  (Read 4371 times)

KartKrazy

350 cluch enguagement question
« on: June 22, 2004, 07:53:43 PM »
Hi all,  I just bought a 350, and the clutch I'm pretty sure needs attention.
The clutch will not engage right away you have to rev the engine high a couple of times and then will engage. I replaced it with a clutch of unknowing condition and history, and it will engage about 50% throttle, is that normal?
or is it supposed  to engage as you roll on the throttle kind of like a polaris atv, I have no experience for comparison. Any advice would be great! OOH I almost forgot the belt looks to be in good shape

thanks

p.s. if anyone has a steering wheel puller set, the longer puller bolt fits the clutch perfectly and popped the clutch off with ease!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »
What type of clutch is it? If it's an aftermarket Comet or Power Bloc the previous owner may have removed a lot of weights to raise the engagement of the clutch to higher rpms.

It could also be getting worn though :|

KartKrazy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 09:59:48 PM »
as far as I can tell they are both stock. Is the clutch supposed to engage when you first roll on the throttle?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 10:05:26 PM »
You'll have to ask on e of the 350 guys...sorry. I would expect the stock clutch to engage not far from idle, but I can't say for sure....

Anyone...350nut? MassOdy?

boogieonmyfinger

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 05:05:58 AM »
I have a 350 and my clutch behaves the same way.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not.

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 05:52:36 AM »
The stock clutch engauges around 3100 RPM. The Comet 94c Replacement is close to stock. The 102C usally comes with a 4600 RPM stall speed. There are springs to be able to reduce the stall speed for the 102C

KartKrazy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 06:05:58 AM »
both clutches are identical and say Salisbury on them but I guess I wont worry  about it for now.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 10:44:32 AM »
Salisbury is the stock clutch...right guys?

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 11:23:06 AM »
That is correct. Comet/Salisbury are now one in the same

KartKrazy

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies!  I think the clutch is ok, but the belt is too long. I don't think the belt is supposed to come off as easy as it does. Also the belt is so loose it rests on the inner u-joint.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 10:03:34 AM »
If you can easily get the clutch off, take it off and take it apart (the manual is real easy to follow for this).  After you take it apart, inspect all the arms and rollers.  It's pretty common for the arms to get wear, sometimes extreme to the point that they are very thin.  Obviously, as they wear, they become lighter and lighter and eventually you have the high rpm engagement you speak of.

You can "band-aid" a fix by applying anti-seize in very ... no ... make that VERY VERY small amount on all the moving parts.  

I had a clutch that had one arm that had obvious frozen on the roller and had a 1/2 inch deep "rub" mark on it (it was a high rpm engagement unit like you describe, but had stuck partially engaged).  We were in the middle of a 3 day weekend way out in the boonies and still wanted to ride.  We swapped the parts around and used the anti-seize on all the parts.  Not only did the sticking partially engaged stop, it now started engaging at the proper rpm.  It lost the top end ability, but it would still run about 40, plenty for most of the dune riding we were doing.

I've since used the anti-seize on another clutch that I got on eBay that was just as you described and it works just fine now.  Again, this is pretty much a "band-aid" approach.  You'll eventually need a new clutch.  I put a Comet 94C on my other 350 (before I learned about the anti-seize thing) and it works great.  Got mine from "sledpartsguy" on eBay.

BTW, it's not unusual for the belt to "rest" on the u-joint.  Mine are shiny from this happening, and I know my belt is the right one and brand new.  As soon as you get up to any speed at all, it doesn't touch anymore.

My 2 cents worth

KartKrazy

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 09:20:39 PM »
I'm going to pull my spare clutch apart just to do it sometime soon and see, I will definitely try and use some anti-seiz,What happens if you use too much? My current clutch isn't all that bad, but not how it should be, it engages alittle high but once it does its fine I was out on 29 road doing a "test and tune" last Sunday, I was keeping up with traffic on I-70  :shock:

I noticed you live in my neck of the woods,  do you know what jet you use in your carb? Mine is jetted for sea level (bought it from some dude in Phoenix)
it loads up and dies at times, had a 125 jet dropped it to 123, the smallest jet I have, better but still dies :(

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »
Wow, I didn't even catch that we're in the same area.  We'll have to go riding some time.  Do you ever go to Debinky (however it's spelled as the locals call it) otherwise know at White Wash Dunes in Utah?  These are a blast in the dunes.

If you were keeping up with the traffic on I70, I hope it's because of the slower speeds during that construction ... otherwise, you'll blow me away!  Mine won't even begin to go much over 50 or so!  Next time you're going to 29 road, send me an email a couple days ahead if you can and I'll try to meet up.  We can share info.    joeodysseyrider@gvii.net

As for jetting, I suspect that you don't have the stock carb.  Mine are completely stock and one has a 146 main and the other a 144 I believe.  Don't know why they are different, but I've read where that is common among 350s.

And as for how much anti-seize is too much, I don't know.  I just know I didn't want any getting onto the belt surfaces.

KartKrazy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 08:42:14 PM »
I would love to go riding sometime! Especially on some dunes! I have some sand paddles I got when I bought my odyssey.  I will be out at 29 road off and on most of the weekend. My ride sessions are usually cut short buy a fouled plug\flat tire or both :(  so I'm not there for long.  When I get it going good I will definitely let you know!

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 09:04:47 AM »
Yeah, I don't ride 29 road a lot because of flat tire problems.  Don't really know why, just seems to happen a lot.  Hardly ever have problems riding in the dunes.  Probably won't be going back over there untill it cools off unless there's a really cool weekend coming up.  We usually go over on Friday after work and stay until Sunday

If it's constantly fouling plugs, it must be jetted too rich.  Before you start messing with the jetting, though ... a question ... have you done the dual inlet mod?  If not, try taking the airbox lid off and running it a little, not in a dusty environment (at least not for long), just enough to see if it makes a difference.  Mine would hardly run before I did the mod and mine came from New Mexico, similar to your situation.  The air box mod did the job for me.