Author Topic: 350 questions  (Read 3538 times)

kr420am

350 questions
« on: April 28, 2004, 08:49:28 AM »
I am posting a few questions with the hope that the Odyssey wizards that frequest these pages may be able to provide me with some insight.  I recently bought my first 350 and have some questions.  First off I wondered if anyone recommends a good aftermarket pipe that would give some nicer sound as well as performance.  I also wondered if there was any sort of accessory or modification to allow better coverage to the belt as to prevent slippage in wet conditions.  The major problem that I encountered was the fact that the Ody seems to be cutting out on power.  It seems to run strong for a while as it warms up, but then it starts bogging down and losing power totally.  Any ideas where the best spots are to start checking as to try to expedite the process of finding and correcting issue.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

ludedude

• View Profile
350 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 12:38:22 PM »
I know Power Pros is my choice of pipe for the Pilot, I assume their pipe for the 350 is just as good.

The belt slippage problem...yup that just plain sucks :( I wanted to make an enclosed cover for my pilot...but the inner clutch face rides right up against a bolt for the crankcase...there's no room there.....downfall of the exposed belt drive.

Have you done compression checks? Cold and warm? Performed a leak test?

That's where I would suggest to start, but I'm no wizard...just what I've picked up along the way ;)

kr420am

350 questions
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:11:03 PM »
thanks!

mudbogger

350 questions
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 02:44:12 PM »
Theres a DG system on ebay for cheap, they work well on the 350's and sound good too.They also will bolt right up to the stock mounts, the Power Pro's sytems are excellent but costly, mine was a couple hundred dollars(i got the powdercoated system)but an excellent chioce as well.I agree with lude, do the basics on your engine- air leak test,etc before you get into the teardown stuff, have you clean the fuel system?are you running the stock fuel cell?What size bore is the motor on?have you performed a compression test?have you cleaned the carb, air filter,changed the plug?Have you done plug chops to see if your running rich-lean?All these little things will help you in the quest to find the problem with your 350.

kr420am

350 help
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'll keep you allposted with what I find!

mudbogger

350 questions
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 05:38:09 AM »
cool, please get back to us.

spynergy

350 questions
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »
I've looked at the DG, Power Pro, and Triple E pipes, and I'm sure they'd all pump the power up, but the real question for me is noise.  My track is on 9.5 acres surrounded by houses and the cops came the last time I was out riding (I think it was because of the dust cloud engulfing the road out front to the point that cars had to have their headlights on!)  So which pipe would be the least noisy but still deliver a good boost to low and midrange power?

mudbogger

350 questions
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 02:28:02 PM »
Well, they all are noisy, the Power Pros pipes are in my opinion the quietest, the dg's are the loudest by far, you can put different silencers on the pipe to quiet it down, there have been some posts here on that issue, do a search, FMF makes some silencers that are pretty quiet, mabye someone else here has some info for that as well.The triple EEE pipes have options for silencers, call Sara  and ask here for the types of silencers that are offered, I believe there are 3 but not sure.

spynergy

350 questions
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »
Can you give me the number??

ludedude

• View Profile
350 questions
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 12:27:30 AM »
Triple EEE's number are dB numbers?

You can get a shorty, a long, and now you can get a quiet core silencer, never done before on a Pilot/350. Mine should (SHOULD) be here Friday they say! (Power Pros) I'm trying to see if I can get/find/borrow/steal a dB meter to compare

MassOdy

350 questions
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »
Lude I have an older Radio Shack type. Its not a totally calibrated one.

But, for a delta comparison it would work.

I could mail it to you.

ludedude

• View Profile
350 questions
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 02:30:05 PM »
From Radio Shack eh!? I may just have to have a look there and see....if they're not that expensive, I'll just pick one up.

MassOdy

350 questions
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 06:43:49 AM »
Well Mine is from the 80s. But I was surprised to see these so cheap.

http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F014%5F000&Page=1&find=sound%20meter(keyword)&hp=search

They also are a nice add on for setting the surround sound speakers to a matching level.