Author Topic: air filters...and water !!!  (Read 1785 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
air filters...and water !!!
« on: April 07, 2004, 06:34:48 PM »
WE had a wet..WET..riding weekend this past one...a lot of fun...but we have an issue to overcome and I'm looking for input...

Are foam filters (UNI's) less suseptible to clogging due to water than the cotton K&N's?

Ted had a lot of trouble with his K&N and outerwear setup. Mine seemed fine with a new UNI installed. SInclair I think was getting in to some power loss to with his K&N at the end of the day too.

I need a way to keep the water from getting sucked in, I'm assuming from the intake air pipe plenum during big splashes....which there were a lot of this past weekend. Did I say it was wet? ;)

Comments....

redrider

• View Profile
water splash issues
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 06:49:26 PM »
I'm running a dual air intake system with Uni's as prefilters.  I have outwears on both of the prefilters and on the Uni in the box.  My radiator has been relocated (have I mentioned it was much easier to work on the engine and carb because of this? LOL).  The two pre-filters are mounted just behind the radiator, between the cage diagonals.  To my knowledge I haven't had any water/intake related issues.  I have had some water/electrical issues in the big splashes but that was solved when I coated every single electrical connection with di-electric grease.

ludedude

• View Profile
air filters...and water !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 06:53:57 PM »
Wow...how restrictive is that...outerwears on the prefilters and in the box....you're running duals...you figure you're still getting more air than a stock uni in the box only?

redrider

• View Profile
air restriction and cleaning
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 07:41:59 PM »
I use water-resistant outerwears on the pre-filters and very lightly oil them, not near what I oil the main filter.  So far I've not noticed any air flow restriction, nor has SpacePilot who did the exact same mod.  The additional air flow seems apparent in response for each of us.
I will add that the pre-filters seem to keep almost all of the dust and dirt off the main filter.  I may be stretching my luck, but after the last three riding trips, all I've had to do to the main filter was keep oil on it.  It was VERY clean.  The UNI-filter foam pre-filters are very easy to clean and, of course, much more accessible than the main filter.  I use UNI-filters spray foam filter cleaner on the filters and the outerwears.  Just spray it on the foam liberally, wait 3 minutes and rinse out with hot water.  Seems to have worked very well for the past couple of years.  I also use spray foam filter oil.