Author Topic: Stock Pilot clutch puller bolt - fabrication diagrams  (Read 4105 times)

redrider

• View Profile
Stock Pilot clutch puller bolt - fabrication diagrams
« on: April 01, 2004, 10:02:27 PM »
Attached is a document I've prepared to address the recent questions about a puller bolt for the stock Pilot clutch. It contains illustrations prepared by me for the purposes of fabricating the puller. This is shared "as is" and should not be considered an official technical publication or accurate to the point that I will assume liabilities should you damage your clutch or crankshaft beyond repair. I would suggest verifying this with another, more knowledgable source. I just happened to have a stock clutch (unattached) and a spare engine which made it easy to take measurements. I'll try to get another individual to measure my components and independently verify my findings.

"text below added to original message"
I've revised the drawing just a little and changed the turned down areas on the bolt.  
It might also be noted that you can make JUST THE TURNED DOWN AREA only and use it as a pushpin as ludedude describes in his response below.  By doing this you should be able to use the pin with the stock or PowerBloc clutches.
Another suggestion is to use a high grade bolt that fits the crankshaft threads.  Cut the head off the bolt and alter the length as required (it wouldn't need to be as long as the pushpin), then cut a slot in the end of the bolt so that it can be inserted into or removed from the crankshaft with a screwdriver.  This will act as a protector bolt to push against with a puller bolt.  

If anyone else has suggestions and solutions to make this task easier, please chime in!  
Thanks

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 05:08:39 AM »
Man you took that serious. That's like a Type C job instead of a Type A.  Good job!!
Does the individual that independently verifies this get paid well?  If so I might apply for the job.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 06:07:48 AM »
I can get the dimensions of the pushrod I have made for the powerblocs. I removed Sinc's OEM last night using that and a 14x1.5 bolt....popped right off...slick as owl shit ;)

Here they are:

.4030" diameter - 2 1/8" long

Then it "steps up" to

.4715" diameter - 3" long

Faux Pas

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 10:43:38 AM »
Red,
Cry, whine. My Mac cant read your doc. Can you make it a pdf or Word or Excel?
Thanks

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 10:50:48 AM »
Oh no.  He has a mac.  
(just kidding) My daughter has a Mac and loves to tell me how great it is.  I love it when she has a problem.

Faux Pas

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 10:59:08 AM »
Hey, Rocketman
Don't even GO there.
You are in danger of starting a REAL fight here! LOL

MassOdy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 11:02:47 AM »
Hey I use a MAC too. Well for some things.
1 Mac and a dozen PCs/laptops various ages :)
I found it works great for video and multimedia.
But, they have there issues too at times.

redrider

• View Profile
Compatibility issues?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 11:25:53 AM »
The attachment IS a Word2000 document!  However, the image embedded in it is a Windows MetaFile (.wmf)  That's probably the problem.  The metafile remains crisp and clear for viewing and printing, and is easy to do.  I would suggest asking if one of the code heads on the board will save it and convert it to something you can read.  Sorry  :(  I'm a simple man with simple ways.

Faux Pas

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004, 11:34:30 AM »
Red
Can you try just adding it as an attachment? I think that will work. Or is that what you did?
Thanks

MassOdy

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 11:44:37 AM »
OK here's the text portion

Cross sectional illustration of stock Pilot clutch and dimensional data required for fabrication of clutch puller bolt.

The diagrams shown are the result of measurements taken by me, and are not presented as completely accurate technical data!  Please do your best to verify critical data with another source prior to use for puller fabrication purposes.
There, that should do it for a disclaimer.  The most questionable dimension indicated in my illustration is that of the turned down area of the puller bolt.  This area should easily pass through the threads in the crankshaft but should not be so small in diameter that it makes it possible to bend inside the crankshaft.  If you choose to use this as a guide to making a puller bolt, please verify the diameter of the area to be turned down.  A minimum of Grade 8 bolt should be used.  When using a puller bolt such as the one shown, or a bolt and pushpin, grease the end of the bolt or pin that bottoms in the crankshaft to prevent a friction lock at that point.

An RTF file is attached for now. Let me xvert teh graphics too.

MassOdy

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 11:46:15 AM »
RTF file again? maybe its not allowed

MassOdy

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2004, 11:51:01 AM »
GIFs/JPGs of the images

MassOdy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2004, 11:52:18 AM »
yuck. need to click on them.

We should add a couple more extensions to be allowed in.

Faux Pas

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2004, 11:58:20 AM »
That worked thanks!!!

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 02:32:01 PM »
Did someone say "code head"???  :lol:

Here is Red's beautiful document saved as a .pdf and available here at POPS for the world to see! (yes, even the Mac world!)

NOTE: Right-click the file and select "Save Target As..." in order to save it to your computer to view it. Simply clicking the file will NOT open it!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock: