Author Topic: Need help on choosing shocks for front end  (Read 2062 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Need help on choosing shocks for front end
« on: December 18, 2003, 02:29:46 PM »
I only have to the end of December to put a ORDER in for Works shocks before they crank up their prices. No problem for the rears, just going to go with the AT Steelers with Rez's and adj, preload.

But the fronts. I want to go with +2 arms, I don't have them yet though....how do I go about ordering shocks then? Do I longer than stock shock to increase travel? How much ?

http://www.worksperformance.com/newproducts.html click on how to ORDER offline (top left)

second image in? hoser you have those for your arms? Red, will they be the same as hoser's?

Distance A, swingarm pivot to upper shock mounting eye
Distance B, swingarm pivot to lower shock mounting eye
Distance C, swingarm pivot to axle center
Distance D, eye to eye shock length
Distance E, length of shock stroke (must be compatible with tire/fender, frame/ground clearance
Rider weight with gear
Passenger weight and percentage of time on vehicle
Level of ability: novice, intermediate, advance or expert
Approximate vehicle weight
Mounting channel width and mounting bolt diameter

Thanks

Brian

hoser

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 02:50:35 PM »
The guys at works should be able to tell you what springs you will need by going to the longer arms, you see this? http://www.swayaway.com/Suspension%20Worksheet.htm it also might be of some help, redrider should know how much more spring rate you will need since he put them on his, mine I am not sure of the exact spring rate change because mine uses pressure to adjust the spring...

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 06:16:14 PM »
Should I try to get triple rate springs up front? They'll need those dimensions before they can figure the spring rates....Is Red keeping them the same as yours, or is he incorporating any changes? Do you know is the lower shock mount in the same location - distance FROM the A-arm pivot on the frame? On yours I see two possible mounting hole locations for the lower shock mount.....which one you using....why? How long are your shocks?

Suggestions for length? You raised your upper shock mount right?

Chime in here Red, if you got some info for me, thanks guys