Author Topic: Odyssey idles too high  (Read 3041 times)

A_Duke13

• View Profile
Odyssey idles too high
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »
I recently purchased a Odyssey fl350 and the guy I bought it from threw in a couple extras free of charge. First of all when I start it up it is idleing way too high, too high to put into gear. I tried adjusting the Air screw and the Stop screw with no luck. Also the plunger on the master cylinder for the rear brakes gets stuck when you pull the brake in. If anybody has any suggestions about the high idle or the brake problems I would really appreciate any help I can get.

AKFL350

• View Profile
Re: Odyssey idles too high
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:10:41 PM »
i had the same problem when i first got mine with the throttle getting stuck, you can prob fix it by spraying lube in the cable itself, getting a larger carb spring, or just replace the carb all together, and with the rear brake i took it all apart polished the drum and replaced the gaskets on it, and it worked just fine

A_Duke13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:37:59 PM »
I appreciate the suggestions. The throttle cable is actually free, not stuck, but the engine is still idling very high, very confusing to me. As for the rear brake issue it is actually in the master cylinder at the front of the odyssey. When I pull in the front brake the plunger returns fine but when I pull in the rear brake it doesn't spring back. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate them as well.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:03:56 PM »
There is a plastic peg (or should be) on the inside of the carb that aligns the slide. Make sure that is not torn off. If it is, the slide will rotate preventing it from seating all the way down. You'll probably just want to replace the carb if that is the problem. Another thing that can cause a high idle is an air leak. Spray carb cleaner around the intake gaskets, cylinder base and case gaskets looking for a change in idle.

Rebuild kits are available for the master cylinder. They are not that expensive relative to may other things. We, Aftershock, normally stock them. They comes with the plunger, spring and the upper hat/seal. You pull the cotter pin out of the pivot pin, remove the pin and the lever arms can come out. The little rubber hat on top of the plunger just pulls out. There is an internal snap ring under that which holds everything in. You could pull out just to check if the aluminum bore needs cleaning up, but I would just throw in the rebuild kit when putting back together.