Author Topic: using the start switch in gear  (Read 1587 times)

droflex

• View Profile
using the start switch in gear
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »
Please help me figure out how to start the motor while in gear with the starter.  When I put the trans in gear it grinds unless it is fully warmed up.  I've been told that is normal but I really dont buy it.  Until I figure out what is really going on, I want to save my trans from abuse by starting it in gear and I know there is a way of doing it.  I know it's not the safest way of starting the maching but i think I can handle not mowing over someone. Plus, my e-brake works really good.

Thanks,

Dro

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: using the start switch in gear
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
There is a switch on the back of the gear box to the right side of the vertical frame tubes. It has two wires connecting to it. It has a rubber boot over it though and covering over the two wires. The switch grounds one wire when in neutral. Grounding that will allow starting in gear. The other wire is grounded when not in reverse. Grounding it will disable the reverse rev limiter. That is commonly done when installing a performance clutch with a higher engagement. A clutch such as the 102C would also reduce the grinding when going into gear because it does not drag on the belt as much.